Saturday, September 6, 2008

Blogging toward ...


After learning that I was blogging, a friend asked me, "What are you blogging about?" My mind went blank, and I had to think of how I was going to articulate what this blog means to me in a clear sentence. Distracted by something else in the room, we both went on to the next thing (indicative of today's fast-paced, multi-tasking culture!), but his enquiry stayed with me throughout the day.

What am I blogging about? Many of my friends have clear purposes for their blogs: book reviews, sharing the adventures of their first home, travel, parish ministry, and the anticipation of a baby.

Thus far, I've written about the story behind the name of the blog, a very special small town in Indiana, and hometowns. These posts all have common threads: land, reflection, home, growth, geography. They are small glimpses of the grander themes that seem to be in keeping with "God's Acre." This indeed is a time for trying out new seeds, nurturing what works, reflecting on why (or why not) it's working, and knowing when it's time to plant again.

Thanks for joining me on this (sometimes) obscure journey!

Image: Spring Turning by Grant Wood (1936). Reynolda House, Museum of American Art, Winston-Salem, NC. http://www.reynoldahouse.org/

2 comments:

  1. Hello! Thank you for referencing Grant Wood's "Spring Turning" on view at Reynolda House Museum of American Art. I hope you will visit Reynolda House soon to see the masterpiece in person.

    Sarah Mansell
    Director of Marketing & Communications at Reynolda House

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sarah! I have indeed had the good fortune to see this masterpiece in person! During my undergraduate studies at Salem College, I visited Reynolda House frequently to enjoy this piece (among others) for hours! The colors are gripping ...

    ReplyDelete